Spoiler alert: Paprika Recipe Manager is awesome.
Imagine a traditional paper recipe box (or a recipe binder, or an untidy pile of curly, food-stained recipe cards). Now imagine that you can tag each recipe by meal, ingredients, dietary nuances, or any other category you require… and then search by keyword or category when you need something specific. And imagine if you could immediately add new recipes you find online, from emails, or from offline sources. Imagine if you could tap several of those cards and immediately a grocery list would appear with combined totals of what you need, which you could easily edit to remove items you don’t need to buy, and then imagine that this list was also on your phone so you don’t even have to print it.
Other amazing things it can do:
- Keep notes about any changes you personally make to the recipe
- Include nutrition information, if you like
- Email recipes in a nice, usable format to non-Paprika users, with an attachment for instant import into Paprika if they also use it
- For the intense home professionals, it allows you to keep an inventory of food on hand and will cross check when creating a shopping list
- Paprika will keep your device awake while cooking, so your raw-chickeny fingers don’t have to touch the screen
- It has a calendar for meal planning which you can use to produce a very specific grocery list
- Built in timers
- Ability to check off ingredients and highlight current steps as you go
- And the list goes on…
Paprika is wonderful if you love to cook, and also wonderful if you hate to cook but have to cook anyway. I learned earlier this year that they offer a desktop version… sounds like a sanity-saving gift for myself! Purchasing a single desktop version allows it to be installed on up to 3 computers, which is great since I jump between two computers, and device app versions can be shared among family share plans as well (I haven’t tried this yet myself, but I’m told you can… super handy when those college kids leave the nest but want all your recipes).
Allow me to say that this is NOT an affiliate post. I have been a very happy Paprika iPad app user since 2012, having purchased at full price the iPad app literally days after my iPad was delivered by the stork. And I am still crazy about this app! It has revolutionized my kitchen life, and it deserves credit for the fact that I now cook a much wider variety of recipes, and regularly try new ones with ease, and am a more organized grocery shopper. It has made my life better in many ways, and I highly recommend it. It has great support, regular updates, and has never caused me angst.
As of this writing (April 12, 2017, but scheduled for November 17, 2017), the regular cost of either Windows/Mac desktop app is $19.99. That’s less than the cost of many cookbooks! Such a great value for what you get. It syncs with your other devices (those apps are sold separately, but regularly only cost $4.99 for iPhone/iPad/Android/Kindle).
I am posting this today, specifically, because in the past 5 years, Paprika has has offered their products at half off on this day of the month through the end of November as part of their Thanksgiving sale. So go check out their blog and see if they’re offering it again…
Happy recipe hoarding!!